Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Snow Bride

The Snow Bride
The Snow Bride - Debbie Macomber
234 pages
Rating: 3/5 

Goodreads blurb:
A Snowbound Christmas...
A Second-chance bride! Practical Jenna Walsh has done something impratical. she's met a man on the internet and now, a month before Christmas, she's going to Alaska to marry him. Dalton Gray seems to be everything she wants in a husband -- sensitive, gallant, romantic . . .
On the flight to Fairbanks, she has the misfortune to sit beside Reid Jamison, who obviously isn't sensitive, gallant, or romantic. However, he's not impressed with her plan to marry Dalton, a man he detests (for good reason, as Jenna later finds out). So Reid takes it upon himself to change her destination -- and her marraigae plans.
Which is why Jenna ends up at Reid's cabin in tiny Snowbound, Alaska. It's currently a one-woman town (and the other woman's out of town.) That leaves Reed, a bunch of eccentric old men, a few grizzly bears -- and Jenna. Kidnapped! And then there's a blizzard. The two of them alone, stranded in Snowbound . . .
Hmm.  Maybe she'll be a Christmas bride, after all.

My thoughts:
Debbie Macomber is a new author to me, recommended both by mom and several book bloggers.  I am coming to know her as a great romance writer and all-time chick-lit writer.  I believe she is talented in that the two books I've read of hers so far have been very different, with no similarities in the plots minus the whole boy-meets-girl and they fall in love idea.  So far, I have enjoyed each of her novels.

I read this novel in one afternoon.  It was a quick, fun read.  I greatly enjoyed the setting and the world Macomber creates around the characters.  I cracked up many a time just at the fun characters and their antics.  That being said, I was not impressed with this book beyond a quick, fun romance read.  I was a little disappointed in the character development of Jenna and Reid.  It was as though she told us about who the characters were instead of showing us through the writing and events.

I had trouble getting into the mindset of writing this review, especially since it's been a couple of days since I read it.  And perhaps that is the general idea of giving this novel a 3/5 instead of a 4/5.  I enjoyed reading it, and I will pass it on to my mom.  However, there was nothing super memorable about the book.  I enjoyed it while I read it, but I had to pull the book out to remind myself of the plot, character names, and struggles within the characters.  I probably will not read the book again, and I won't find myself in the middle of a conversation saying, "Oh my gosh, you HAVE to read that book!"  Ultimately, I recommend it to lovers to romantic comedy and people looking for a fun, quick, light read.  Snuggle up with a cup of tea and prepare to laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment