Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Fall Into Reading: Questions (3)





 Callapidder Days is currently hosting the Fall Into Reading Challenge.  It is a self-set challenge in that each participant sets a goal for his/herself of the number of books to read during the fall season (Sept. 22-Dec. 20).  Then the participants post about the novels and progress as much or little as they want with a wrap-up post at the end.  Callapidder Days also hosts a weekly question about Fall Into Reading, as another way for us to connect and such.

This week's question: When you read a book, do you read EVERYTHING? In other words, do you read the dedication, the acknowledgements, the foreword, the afterword, the prologue, the epilogue, the appendices, etc.? Or do you just read the “meat” of the book? Or is your approach somewhere in between?

I have to admit that what I read depends on my mood at the time.  A lot of times I read the dedication and the meat of the book.  I hate reading the Table of Contents because it almost ruins the book for me.  (Just like on Netflix I can't read the episode descriptions - to makes me not want to watch the episodes.  Or like how I don't like to watch the movies before I read the books, because then I won't read the books.  I just like not knowing what's going to happen).  I always read the prologue and epilogue.  I never have really thought that wasn't part of the meat of the book.  But sometimes I skip the dedication and acknowledgments because I can't wait to get into the book.  Other times I just want the book to be over, so I even skim the meat of the book.  Just depends on the mood and level of patience I have at the time.   Hm... so interesting to see how others read books.  I guess you could say that I read somewhere in between.


Books Read so Far:
1. The Scarlet Pimpernel - Baronnes Emmuska Orczy (review)
2. Sooner or Later - Debbie Macomber
3. Evermore - Alysson Noel (review)
4. The Snow Bride - Debbie Macomber (review)
5. The Inn at Eagle Point - Sherryl Woods (review)
6. Harbor Lights - Sherryl Woods
7. She's Gone Country - Jane Porter (review)
8. Twenty Wishes - Debbie Macomber (review)
9. Deja Dead - Kathy Reichs (review)
10. The Sparkling One - Susan Mallery (review)
11. Under Her Skin - Susan Mallery (review)

Bonus: (i.e. books not on my list, but that I've finished reading in this time period)
1. Flowers on Main - Sherryl Woods
2. On the Steamy Side - Louisa Edwards

Progress: 11 down, 39 to go

And just for fun: Bennett's celebrating October and Halloween!
I realize he's a dog and all - but I don't have kids, so I have fun with my puppy.  Plus, it helps keep him warm.  And isn't he cute?!

His shirt even glows in the dark!

No comments:

Post a Comment