Friday, November 26, 2010

Fall Into Reading: Questions (7)

 

I'm a little behind this week on posting, but I was traveling for a bit.  I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  And those who are out experiencing Black Friday, yah for you!  I'm comfy, sitting by the fire, enjoying my day off.  :)  Black Friday is just not for me.

Callapidder Days is currently hosting the Fall Into Reading Challenge.  It is a self-set challenge in that each participant sets a goal for his/herself of the number of books to read during the fall season (Sept. 22-Dec. 20).  Then the participants post about the novels and progress as much or little as they want with a wrap-up post at the end.  I have set a goal to read 50 books this fall.  You can read the full list here.  Callapidder Days also hosts a weekly question about Fall Into Reading, as another way for us to connect and such.

This week's question: Once you begin a book, do you feel compelled to finish it? Or have you been known to give up in the middle of a book, to walk away from a book that is just too annoying, boring, etc.?

I have to say that I feel compelled to finish most books.  It's still hard for me to remember that I don't have to read anything.  That I get to read what I want to read.  I think it's part of being out of school: a little freedom to make me skip.  But the way I deal with it is that if I am not enjoying a book, I set the book down for a while and perhaps come back to it later.  I have two books "on hold" right now: The Second Coming by David Burton and House Rules by Jodi Piccoult.  The Second Coming is one I won in a giveaway, and I just can't get into it.  I'll read like a chapter or so every so often, and I just can't make myself read it right now.  House Rules is one I'm guaranteed to go back to; I just wasn't in the mood for it when I picked it up.  Most of the time, I'll go back to a book later and be really into it and finish it quickly.  I haven't found one I just couldn't finish yet, but that's not say that I won't.  How about you?  Anyone give up on books?  Or are you like me, and feel like you need to finish a book?

Books Read so Far:
1. The Scarlet Pimpernel - Baronnes Emmuska Orczy (review)
2. Sooner or Later - Debbie Macomber
3. Evermore - Alysson Noel (review)
4. The Snow Bride - Debbie Macomber (review)
5. The Inn at Eagle Point - Sherryl Woods (review)
6. Harbor Lights - Sherryl Woods
7. She's Gone Country - Jane Porter (review)
8. Twenty Wishes - Debbie Macomber (review)
9. Deja Dead - Kathy Reichs (review)
10. The Sparkling One - Susan Mallery (review)
11. Under Her Skin - Susan Mallery (review)
12. Masquerade - Melissa De La Cruz (review)
13. One Reckless Summer - Toni Blake (review)
14. A Whole New Light - Sandra Brown (review)
15. The Rose Red Bride - Claire Delacroix (review)
16. The Apothecary's Daughter - Julie Klassen (review)
17. The Catcher in the Rye - J. D. Salinger (review)
18. Odd Thomas - Dean Koontz

Bonus: (i.e. books not on my list, but that I've finished reading in this time period)
1. Flowers on Main - Sherryl Woods
2. On the Steamy Side - Louisa Edwards (review)
3. Blue Moon - Alyson Noel (review)
5. Just Listen - Sarah Dressen (review)
6. Christmas Wishes - Debbie Macomber

Progress: 18 down, 32 to go

2 comments:

  1. More and more, I've started giving up on books that don't work for me. I'm so rarely reading anymore (something I hope to change in the new year) that if I'm not totally grabbed by a book, I'll pass on it and start something else. Still, I tend to go back to those unfinished ones -- usually something about it grabs me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I'm finished 18 and have 26 remaining. Of course, I'd be doing much better if I'd stop reading things I didn't sign up for...

    ReplyDelete