Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Fall Into Reading: Questions (6)

 


Callapidder Days is currently hosting the Fall Into Reading Challenge.  It is a self-set challenge in that each participant sets a goal for his/herself of the number of books to read during the fall season (Sept. 22-Dec. 20).  Then the participants post about the novels and progress as much or little as they want with a wrap-up post at the end.  I have set a goal to read 50 books this fall.  You can read the full list here.  Callapidder Days also hosts a weekly question about Fall Into Reading, as another way for us to connect and such.

This week's question: Where do you get the books you read? Are you a faithful library patron? Or maybe a bookstore junkie? Do you exchange books with friends or family members?

Such a great question!  Unfortunately, I am not a faithful library patron.  Though I want to be!  I recently moved to a new city, and I just haven't had the time to go check out the library.  I'm going to try to go tomorrow.  Though, as of right now, I am trying to get through several of the books I already own on my shelves.  That's what my goal with this challenge was - to read all of the books I've already purchased.  Right now, for new books, I am going to a Goodreads swap phase.  I stumbled upon the swap recently, and I feel in love.  I also have a kindle.  Mostly I use my kindle when I can't find the books on swap, as they are generally cheaper than finding them in a bookstore.  Though I don't have the money to be a faithful bookstore junkie, that doesn't mean I cannot be found browsing the shelves at a good Barnes and Noble just because I love bookstores.  Since I am new to this city, I haven't had time to explore the big and little bookstores to find a favorite yet - so I haven't been in a while.  But I just love the smell of bookshelves and new (or new to me) books.  There's just something wonderfully peaceful about a bookstore.  Sometimes I go and browse and place a bunch of fun books on my goodreads list to buy next time just for the quiet and wonderful atmosphere of being surrounded by books.  Thank goodness for the Goodreads iphone app.  I use it religiously to keep track of books I want to read during my "window shopping" bookstore adventures.

What about you?  Any religious library users?  Are any of you addicted to Swap like me?  Wherever you get your books, I hope you enjoy reading them this week!

Books Read so Far:
1. The Scarlet Pimpernel - Baronnes Emmuska Orczy (review)
2. Sooner or Later - Debbie Macomber
3. Evermore - Alysson Noel (review)
4. The Snow Bride - Debbie Macomber (review)
5. The Inn at Eagle Point - Sherryl Woods (review)
6. Harbor Lights - Sherryl Woods
7. She's Gone Country - Jane Porter (review)
8. Twenty Wishes - Debbie Macomber (review)
9. Deja Dead - Kathy Reichs (review)
10. The Sparkling One - Susan Mallery (review)
11. Under Her Skin - Susan Mallery (review)
12. Masquerade - Melissa De La Cruz (review)
13. One Reckless Summer - Toni Blake (review)
14. A Whole New Light - Sandra Brown (review)
15. The Rose Red Bride - Claire Delacroix (review)
16. The Apothecary's Daughter - Julie Klassen (review)
17. The Catcher in the Rye - J. D. Salinger (review)

Bonus: (i.e. books not on my list, but that I've finished reading in this time period)
1. Flowers on Main - Sherryl Woods
2. On the Steamy Side - Louisa Edwards (review)
3. Blue Moon - Alyson Noel (review)


Progress: 17 down, 33 to go

Whew I need to get reading!  I still have a lot to go. How goes your goals?  Anybody ridiculously behind like me?

4 comments:

  1. I'm a faithful library patron. Every 10 days or so I visit them with my big canvas tote bag & fill it up. I live in Manchester, NH, which has TWO libraries. The main one, where I always go, is in the middle of the city - it's an old building with lots of beautiful marble & granite. My biggest beef is having to pay for parking during the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, that is so exciting about having two libraries. I used to live in Nashville, and we had a beautiful downtown library with marble and granite. My beef with that was having to pay for parking as well. But I always looked forward to writing my research papers when I had an excuse to drive downtown and get some books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hannah Marie - I had to share this with you. I went to the library today and found about 7 books, including 4 or 5 from the new section. As I turned to head toward the checkout desk, a woman who was standing behind me said "Are there any LEFT???" I kind of laughed in disbelief at her. Yeah, there are thousands left - it's a library, and probably at least a hundred left in the new section. So it was kind of funny, but a little irritating, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer, I could see how that could be irritating. What's the point of going to library if you don't get books? There was this cute old lady at the library when I went (I finally got my card!), and she carried her tote full of books to the counter (reminded me of you) and checked out at least 15 books. Again, I thought, so clever! They sell little library totes that benefit the library. I think I might get one next time. Next time, now that I'm an official member, I can check up to 20 books! Thanks for encouraging me to get back into library going!

    ReplyDelete