Friday, December 24, 2010

Fall Into Reading: Wrap Up Post



Fall Into Reading has officially finished (well, it finished on the 20th, but being under the weather has made me a bit late).  Makes me a little sad.  It has been a challenge I have thoroughly enjoyed participating in this fall.  As the leaves have changed and the air grew colder, I snuggled and read, got to know my fellow bloggers and readers, and fully enjoyed taking this fall to read for fun.  I want to thank Katrina at Callapidder Days, who hosted the challenge, and I can't wait to participate in the next challenge she hosts.  Katrina posted a few questions as suggestions for a wrap up post.  So I thought i would include those here as well as the final list of the books I read this fall.


Did you finish reading all the books on your fall reading list? If not, why not?
I didn't finish all the books on my reading list, unfortunately.  I had no idea how many books I would have time to read, so I picked a random number and created my list from there.  Apparently I was a little too ambitious.  But that's ok.  Now, I know better.  As I am planning my challenges for next year, I am glad to know my limits and know where to challenge myself.

Did you stick to your original goals or did you change your list as you went along?
I tried to stick to my original list, but since I found other books along the way, I decided to just include them in my number.  About halfway through I figured out that I wasn't going to finish my list, so I gave up on my goal of the list and just tried to reach my goal of the reading 50 books.  I actually didn't reach either, but my number was closer because I included all the books I read.

What was your favorite book that you read this fall? Least favorite? Why?
Ah, I have to pick a favorite?!  Well, I'm not sure I could narrow it down, but some of my favorites were: Death Du Jour by Kathy Reichs, Evermore by Alyson Noel, and Just Listen by Sarah Dessen.  My least favorite was probably One Reckless Summer by Toni Blake.  My favorites were all novels that captivated me and touched me for one reason or another.  My least favorite - it was simply annoying to me.  I hate reading and skimming ahead just so I can say I finished the book.  When I stop reading for fun and just keep reading to get to the end of the story, that's when I know it's not a book for me.

Did you discover a new author or genre this fall? Did you love them? Not love them?
I discovered many new authors this fall: Alyson Noel, Kathy Reichs, Dean Koontz, Sarah Dessen, Sherryl Woods, Jane Porter, etc.  In fact, most of the novels I read this fall were from new-to-me authors.  I can't say I found a new genre, as young adult fiction and mystery have always been present for me.  I just never really dove into them like I did this fall.  But I found some great authors, some new on the scene, some older, but either way I am excited to keep reading from these new favorites of mine.

Did you learn something new because of Fall Into Reading 2010 – something about reading, about yourself, or about a topic you read about?
I learned a lot about different reading habits.  I have never stopped to think that others might read differently than me, and I find that incredibly fascinating.  Who knew that some people read books completely cover to cover?  And to find out that many people feel it's ok to not finish books?  (that helps me remember that reading is for fun, not have-tos).   I also got to have a good look at my own reading habits, which helps me predict books and posts for my blog as well as know how to predict my participation in challenges in the coming year.

What was your favorite thing about the challenge?
I believe my favorite thing about the challenge would be the weekly questions.  Though I wasn't able to participate each week, I greatly enjoyed Katrina's questions and getting to know other bloggers and readers.  Plus, it was a wonderful way for me to keep track with my progress and have a sense of accomplishment.  I look forward to Katrina's next challenge.

Books Read in Fall 2010:
1. The Scarlet Pimpernel - Baronnes Emmuska Orczy (review)
2. Sooner or Later - Debbie Macomber
3. Evermore - Alysson Noel (review)
4. The Snow Bride - Debbie Macomber (review)
5. The Inn at Eagle Point - Sherryl Woods (review)
6. Harbor Lights - Sherryl Woods
7. She's Gone Country - Jane Porter (review)
8. Twenty Wishes - Debbie Macomber (review)
9. Deja Dead - Kathy Reichs (review)
10. The Sparkling One - Susan Mallery (review)
11. Under Her Skin - Susan Mallery (review)
12. Masquerade - Melissa De La Cruz (review)
13. One Reckless Summer - Toni Blake (review)
14. A Whole New Light - Sandra Brown (review)
15. The Rose Red Bride - Claire Delacroix (review)
16. The Apothecary's Daughter - Julie Klassen (review)
17. The Catcher in the Rye - J. D. Salinger (review)
18. Odd Thomas - Dean Koontz (review)
19. Flowers on Main - Sherryl Woods
20. On the Steamy Side - Louisa Edwards (review)
21. Blue Moon - Alyson Noel (review)
22. Just Listen - Sarah Dressen (review)
23. Christmas Wishes - Debbie Macomber (review)
24. Home for the Holidays - Debbie Macomber (review)
25. Home for the Holidays - Johanna Lindsey (review)
26. Anne of Green Gables- L.M. Montegomery (review)
27. A Cedar Cove Christmas - Debbie Macomber
28. Death du Jour - Kathy Reichs
29. Poison Study - Maria V. Snyder
30. Girl v. Boy - Yvonne Collins and Sandy Rideout
31. The Perfect Christmas - Debbie Macomber (review)
32. The Christmas Dog - Melody Carlson

Thanks again everyone, and can't wait to participate in another challenge again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment