Friday, December 17, 2010

Home for the Holidays

Home for the Holidays
Johanna Lindsey
352 pages
Rating: 3/5

Facing eviction and worse at Christmastime Larissa Ascot is forced to accept shelter from a charming earl, Vincent Everett, the Baron of Windsmoor, who has been secretly scheming her family's destruction. But the highborn rogue is bewitched by Larissa--most unfortunate since the proud beauty despises him. But Christmas is a time for miracles.Left to handle the rumors other family's bankruptcy and impending eviction, Larissa Ascots wishes for a merry Christmas seem to be in peril for the first time in her sheltered life. A charming would-be "benefactor,"Vincent Everett, the Baron of Windsmoor, has offered to shelter Larissa and her young brother. But more than Yuletide spirit seems to have inspired the baron's generostity.From the moment he first set eyes on Larissa, the highborn rogue was bewitched. And now that she has taken up residence in his home, he aches with wanting her-a most unfortunate state of affairs, since the proud beauty obviously despises him . . . and since Vincent has sworn to seek a righteous vengeance on the Ascot family.

My Thoughts:
I read this book for my Christmas Challenge.  I received it in a goodreads swap.  I just picked it out because it sounded good.  It was my first book of Johanna Lindsey. 
The book would be what they call historical romance.  It was set in the 1800s, and I enjoyed the time period.  I found some of the historical stuff to be probably not accurate, but I enjoyed it nevertheless.  I also enjoyed the idea of the story - a sweet girl breaking down the walls of a cold-hearted lord.  The characters seemed a little underdeveloped, but they connected well, making it a fun story.

Unfortunately, there was one part of this book that made me enjoy it a little less.  It's a personal pet peeve of mine.  I appreciated the tack that Lindsey used in writing the love scenes, but I hate it when the girl gives it up too early.  I guess I wanted her to be strong and make him change first.  Perhaps that is an old fashioned but I hate it when a guy makes a scheme and the girl does exactly what he wants her to do.  I'm not sure how I would have written the book differently, but it really annoyed me.  I can understand how it worked into the plot well, but it wasn't want I wanted.

Alright, pet peeve moment over, I did enjoy this book.  It was a fun Christmas read, and it did not end the way I imagined it would.  I gave it a three because I enjoyed the plot, but there were parts of the book I didn't like and I probably won't read it again.  I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys fun romance books  and is looking for a light, fun Christmas read.

No comments:

Post a Comment