Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A Whole New World

I find it interesting, this world without school. I have been an RN approximately six days, and I still do not know what to do with myself. At first, I thought I would only write on this blog to be able to participate in the Read-a-Thon (which I proudly figured out how to add the button to my page). However, I have been opened to a whole new world of blogs, books, and the Internet. Who knew that so many people discussed books from the comfy couch of who-knows-where with a computer screen at hand.

Though I am still doubtful that I have anything worth saying on this huge cyberspace, I think I will enjoy having a space of my own as well as a constant record of my thoughts on books (and probably life as well). Plus, I am incredibly intrigued by the world of book bloggers. I have Lori from TNBBC to thank for that.

Today has been a difficult day for me, as I have had people trouble (the worst kind, if you ask me). I am an incredibly non-confrontational person, so conflict upsets me. Therefore, I have retreated into the wonderful escape of naps and books. I am currently reading a Jodi Piccoult book titled House Rules. I have been attempting to read this novel for several months now, but I did not succeed in multitasking. Studying (and avoiding studying) took over my life. Now I have finally gotten to the good part. In the back of my mind, I can hear the "The plot thickens" quote from who-knows-where. In a short summery, House Rules is a fiction novel about a teenager who has Asperger's and becomes involved in a murder trial. For those who have not met the term Asperger's should know that it is a form of autism in which, generally, the child is excessively smart, obsessive about a particular topic (in this book's case - forensics), and very socially awkward. The child also has problems with control and can become overwhelmed easily, which causes a sometimes violent spiral downwards until balance is maintained again. I found this book interesting because I bought it after watching a movie featuring Hugh Grant playing a man who had Asperger's. I am enjoying learn about the syndrome.

Is it odd that I sometimes want to avoid reading books in which sometime bad is about to happen? For instance, it took me several months to read the 5th (I believe) Harry Potter. I had seen the movie, knew that the godfather was going to die, and I did not want to read the book because I did not want it to happen. It is as if I do not read something, then it does not happen i my universe. Is that odd? I do not really ask the question for an answer, but as a simple rambling put out into cyberspace. I realize that I have my small oddities. Sometimes I think of how I would introduce myself to someone by listing those odd things about me. I cannot stand the color orange, though I cannot tell you why. I have to watch TV shows from the beginning, otherwise it bothers me. I sometimes live in a world of my own universe, in which I rewrite endings to movies I did not like the conclusion in; I do not read books in which I know something bad is going to happen unless I want to cry. I hate reading books after I've watched the movie. I always fold the tissue the opposite way before blowing my nose. I went from drinking coffee religiously to only drinking tea. I eat ice cream with a fork. I love to bake, though sometimes I do not like eating the things I bake (for instance, I love making cake and cupcakes, but I do not like cake). My favorite part of the day is the middle of the night, for I feel as though it is my own special time when no one else is awake.

There are some days when I wonder what people will think of me when I am gone. I am getting ready to move to a new city and start a new job. And I have given a lot of thought to what people will miss me and what will be said about me when I am gone. I often wish I had the power to read people's mind. Would I be surprised? I wonder how much of my perception and thoughts of what other people think is correct.

I wish Jane Austen were still alive and would write many more novels.

My roommate and I watched the movie Leap Year last night. Such a wonderful movie. I have really become a fan of Amy Adams. I have loved everything she has done. Leap Year is such a warm, fuzzy movie that has made me smile both yesterday and today. It also made me want to make some coq au vin. Ah, Julie Child, how I envy, idol, and love you. Someday soon (within the month, hopefully), I will make coq au vin, even if it is only for Bennett and me.

Currently reading: House Rules, p. 112
Currently watching: Criminal Minds, Season 1; The Big Bang Theory, reruns on the tivo

No comments:

Post a Comment