Friday, July 16, 2010

Read-a-Thon Finish

As my adorable pup has chewed my computer cord, I had to wait until I arrived at my parents house to write about the end of my Read-a-Thon.  I am sad that the event is over, but I am continuing my personal read-a-thon as I have had a renewed love for books that is growing the more I read and write about them.  But I thought I would finish up my thoughts about the Read-a-Thon.  I finished three books during the days of the Read-a-Thon.  Not a lot, I know, but I was working.  And I simply enjoyed my time reading.  I am going to write a separate post on Brave New World, simply because I want to add some quotes.  So here are the books:

1. Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles (review)
2. Crime Scene at Cardwell Ranch by Candance Calvert
3. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley


Crime Scene at Cardwell Ranch by Candance Calvert

I started reading this novel simply because it was a Kindle Freebie.  However, I really enjoyed it.  It was a light hearted fun read, but I was not frustrated with a feeling of "wasting my time" as I am with some Kindle Freebies.  The basic idea is that Dana is a Montana rancher whose siblings are pushing her to sell the ranch.  She is woken up one morning by her foreman who found a set of bones at the bottom of a well on her place.  They are forced to call the Interim Marshall, Hud, who happens to be an old flame of Dana's.  Their relationship ended badly (I don't want to give any other details), and the plot of the novel is solving the murder and unraveling the night their relationship ended.  It's a typical romance with some murder mystery written in.  I actually guessed the bad guy at the beginning, but the plot is not completely predictable or easily solved.  Not the best read I've ever read, but not the worst either.  Overall, I would give it a 3/5 because I liked it, but I probably wouldn't read it again and I do not believe I'll think about it years from now.  It made a good summer and Read-a-thon read.

No comments:

Post a Comment