Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Read-a-thon Mini-Challenges

Lauren's Crammed Bookshelf Mini-Challenge:


For my challenge, I'm asking you to pick your favorite book you've read so far for the read-a-thon and write a review for it.

The favorite book I've read so far is Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles. I wrote a review below, but I thought I would include a summery of the novel as well: Perfect Chemistry is a young adult fiction novel about two different people: Brittany and Alex. Brittany is the typical popular, wealthy high school girl. Captain of the pom pom squad, dating the captain of the football team, and seemingly perfect life. Alex is the typical bad-boy figure from the other side of the tracks. He is a member of Latino Blood, the ruling gang of the town. He drives a motorcycle, does not seem to take school seriously, and is rumored to do drugs regularly and kill someone who looks at him the wrong way. The two are paired in a Chemistry class with a senior project that is required to finish together. They both seem to catch each other off-guard and see parts of their lives that do not fit into the stereotype. Though the plot is a predictable boy-meets-girl story, it is a fun read and perfect for a read-a-thon.  It highlighted stereotypes in high school, and really showed how people are not always what you think they are. I greatly enjoyed reading it, and I could not put it down once I started.  I would give it a 4/5 for being a great read.

No comments:

Post a Comment