Saturday, July 10, 2010

Reading Fun on a Saturday

I've been home alone for a bit this weekend, so I have been enjoying the lack of schedule and human contact by doing whatever I feel like. Mostly, I have been reading and sleeping . I received my kindle this week. A long awaited arrival, if I might say so. I was patient, and I waited until after I had taken my nursing license to order it. And in this case, my patience paid off, because the kindle was discounted right before I bought it. Though I have been tempted to buy an iPad (my dad sure is for it), I decided that I really only wanted an eReader, not another computer. Though others may disagree, the kindle is exactly what I wanted.

I guess you could say that I started my Read-a-Thon early. As I sit at home and wait for my best friend to call when she is finished with a wedding, I have been exploring the book blog world and playing with my kindle. I have been reading most of the time I have been home, and I have enjoyed the time away from TV. Though I was enjoying reading House Rules, I cannot seem to get in it and stay "stuck" so to speak. Perhaps it is because Jodi Piccoult always makes me think and presents a more realistic view of life, but I am expecting to be sad at the end of her (wonderful) novel. I am just not quite ready for it. But it is summer time; and in the spirit of summer reads, several other readers seem to be reading fluff novels as well. So I am taking some recommendations from their Read-A-Thon lists, going to spend some money, and read, read, read.

A friend asked me what a read-a-thon is, and though I am not certain on the details, here is how it goes in my head. It is a time where I will read, read, read. And several of the book bloggers are doing the same. I am assuming they will be posting about books the are reading, and I will be doing the same. But mostly, I think it is a way to promote reading. Ok, bend my arm, I'll read for three days. I will be working during those days, but I'm excited to have a purpose to my reading.

So while I have been exploring the recommendations, I have been adding books to my to-be-read (TBR in book world, I found out) list. There seems to be a theme of young adult fiction running around, but I cannot say I mind. I think it may have something to do with the release of Eclipse (which I still have not seen). But I also have some adult fiction that I have been dying to read as well. So here's a list of some books I am wanting to read:

1. Perfect Chemistry, by Simone Elkeles
2. Rules of Attractions, also by Simone Elkeles
3. The Second Coming, by David Burton
4. Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley
5. Blindness, by Jose Saramago
6. Galapagos, by Kurt Vonnegut
7. The Apothocary's Daughter, by Julie Klassen
8. No Place for a Lady, by Maggie Brenden

I guess that's a good enough list for now. I'm sure I will be adding to it soon. Not that I plan to read all of those books in the next five days (I figured I would start the read-a-thon early), but hey, I like lists.

Currently Read: Brave New World
Currently On Hold (until further notice): House Rules

No comments:

Post a Comment